Inspired by a recent post entitled My Ten Commandments of Blogging by my productivity blogging mentor Mike St. Pierre, I spent time crafting a plan for this blog prior to launching it. Along with researching hosts and discerning an appropriate focus, I decided to have a guiding principle for the material which would be posted here.
There are plenty of great GTD and Personal Productivity blogs out there. Why add this one to the mix? The focus of this blog, taking a serious look at productivity in the home, appears to have room for yet another voice. However my most important reason for taking on this topic is to continue to educate myself on the topic and to share what I'm learning with others.
This being said, I have come up with a game plan for "productive posting" on this blog, hoping that a razor sharp mission for the blog will help me maintain that ever elusive balance between work and home. I don't want to spend so much time blogging on getting things done that I don't get anything done.
Each day, I will focus on one of my seven ingredients for productivity in the home:
- Monday - Professional Life: working from home, technology tools, and maximizing work effort
- Tuesday - Family Life: home organization, menu planning, scheduling and more
- Wednesday - Education: personal and professional development, books and resources for lifelong learning
- Thursday - Financial: mastering household finance issues including debt reduction, contingency planning and saving for the future
- Friday - Fun: social interaction with and outside of our family, travel, entertainment
- Saturday - Physical: health and fitness issues, nutrition and caring for ourselves
- Sunday - Spiritual: In keeping with my goal to attain work/life balance, I will observe the Sabbath and refrain from posting on Sundays.
With these guiding principles in place, look for one post per day here at Productivity @ Home. This schedule will launch on Monday with the dawn of a new week. I look forward to sharing and learning with you.